In this Kathmandu to Lhasa tour, we have amazing views of the Himalaya and the picturesque Tibetan countryside greet you on the overland drive from Kathmandu to Lhasa en route from renowned Everest Base Camp, to Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet, the Tashihunpo monastery, the seat of the Panchen Lamas. Then to Gyantse, with its unique Palkor Monastery and KumbumChorten. The tour ends in Lhasa.
Our staff will pick up from your hotel in Kathmandu in the morning and then we will drive along small mountain road to the border at Nepalese side; on the way you can enjoy thewaterfall, river, gorges, forest. Finally, we will arrive at Rashuwaghadi.
Stay overnight in local guesthouse in the Gyirong County (2700m)
Notice: Transfer from Kathmandu to Rashuwaghadi is an option need to pay extra 250USD/car， or use the public jeep transfer around 30-50USD/per person.
After you enter Tibet, you will be meeting the Tibetan tour guide at Gyirong border and then you will get transferred from Gyirong to Old Tingri (4300m). On the way, you will enjoy the view beautiful border line and snow-capped mountain and evergreen forest. As you pass Tongla Pass (5100m) , you can appreciate the epic mountain vista of Himalayan range.
Stay overnight in hotels in Tingri.
Today you will travel from Tingri to EBC and later keep moving to Shigatse. On the way to EBC, you are expected to pass famous Gawu La Pass(5198m) where top 4 highest peaks along Great Himalayas are within easy sight. And you can enjoy the panoramic view of Himalayas in the moring. Then we will visit long-awaited Everest Base Camp (5200m) on Tibet’s side. You can explore the Rongbuk Monastery (5154m) the highest Buddhist monastery in the world. Later, we are about to drive to Shigatse.
Stay overnight in hotels in Shigatse
In the morning, you will visit the famous TashiLhunpo Monastery where you can see the well preserved largest statue of Jampa(future Buddha) in the world. This monastery is the seat of Tibet’s second highest incarnation, the Panchen Lama. In summer, we can also visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field.
After visiting the Tashilhunpo Monastery, there is a short drive just 90km to Gyantse, which boasts a variety of important cultural and historical sites – Khumbum, Palkhor Chode Monastery and Gyantse old street and magnificient vista of Gyangtse Fortress.
Then, we drive 280km to Lhasa, as you pass Manak Dam Lake, you may hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass; Next, comes the close view of Korola Glacier on the roadside; Then, you will pass the Gangbala Pass (5030m) to view turquoise Yamdrok Lake and snow-capped Mount Nyenchen Khangsar. Finally, you will also cross the Brahmaputra River and finally reach Lhasa.
Stay overnight in hotels in Lhasa
Today’s tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet.
Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve. Outside, you can see pilgrims making prostrating in front of Jokhang Temple. Around the temple is Barkhor street, where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, and explore the old market.
Besides, We can taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house; The welcome dinner will also be arranged accordingly;
With time permitting, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. You can visit biggest monastery kitchen inside the monastery and enjoy Buddhist Sculpture Carving workshop near Drepung.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 – 5 in the afternoon. In addition, you can tour the Tibetan religious scripture printing house; inside the monastery, you can see three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
You will be accompanied with tour guide to airport/train station by private car, which wraps up the entire tour.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Meals as specified in the itinerary;
- Local tour Transfers, 5-29 seats comfortable Tourist Vehicle according to Group Size.;
- Knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide shared in your group;
- Comfortable Hotel Accommodations;
- Service Charge & Government Taxes;
- The above tour price does not include single room supplement. If you are a solo traveler, you need to share one room with another tourist (same sex in most cases); if you prefer to stay in one room by yourself, you will have to pay the single room supplement. And the exact price depends on market fluctuation in high and off season of Tibet tour. For the exact price, please refer to your travel consultant.
- Arrangements include planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- Welcome Dinner in local restaurant when group members meet in Lhasa
- Free Airport shuttle transfer between Lhasa Gongar airport and Hotel on designated time.
- Group tours only include a welcome dinner after your arrival in Tibet.
- Tibet Handy Map
- Drinking water Provided during the trip
- One shared big Oxygen tank in the car;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price, please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Lunches and dinners are not included, please pay on site by yourself.; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips to tour guide and driver, you are suggested to tip them 7 USD/day in total.;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
- The price Quotation does not include Kathmandu to border transfer. If you need this service, please pay to our Nepal office according the group size.
- Or buy a seat of public jeep transfer from Kathmandu to Rashuwaghadi transfer with about 30-50USD per person. Our company can arrange that for the guests.
Frequent Asked Questions
Due to the opening of Gyirong Port to international tourists by the end of August, 2017, it’s time to renew your dream and enjoy this epic overland tour from Kathmandu to Lhasa.