This is the Classic tour itinerary to visit Lhasa, Everest Base camp and the holy lake Namtso lake. If you are not used to the high altitude, then this is one of the best itineraries that cover the all the Lhasa main tourist sites like Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor street, Drepung and sera monastery with Gyantse Kumbum and Shigatse Tashi Lhunpho monastery.
Tourists can see much natural scenery like beautiful sacred lake Yamdrok tso and karo glacier with beautiful views of Mt. Everest, the highest mountain in the world from Everest Base Camp. Namtso Lake is the second largest alpine saline lake in Tibet with an altitude of 4,718 meters above sea level. Its surrealistic beauty will take your breath away in no time.
When you arrive in Lhasa either by train or flight, your guide will greet you and take you to your hotel. Tourists may view the Yarlung Tsangpo River/ Bhamaputra river (the Longest and largest river in Tibet) and Lhasa river on their way to Lhasa. After arriving in Lhasa, you can take a rest and get acclimatized to high altitude. If you feel to go out, then you can go to the Potala Square, where you will enjoy the fountain with different colors and get amazing photos of the Potala and around. Insider Tips: For the new-comers of Tibet, to get acclimatized to the high altitude in Tibet. Having a good sleep in your hotel is a good option. Don not rush to visit attractions inside Lhasa city. Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Today's tour will first bring you to the Potala Palace which is the winter palace of the Dalai lama. It was put to use since the 7th Century by the 33rd great king of Tibet. The most valuable collections of Potala Palace are the gilded burial stupas of former Dalai Lamas and meditation Cave of the 33rd great king of Tibet. Then after lunch, tourists head to Jokhang temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century. Inside you can see the statue of Buddha Sakyamuni at the age of twelve. Outside, you can see pilgrims making prostrating in front of Jokhang Temple. Around the temple is Barkhor street, where you can do kora (a religious circle of a building or mountain) with pilgrims and locals, and explore the old market. Besides, We can taste Tibetan tea with locals in tea house; The welcome dinner will also be arranged accordingly; Optional: With time permitting, you may go with tour guide to visit Tibetan handicraft art or Tibetan Traditional Medicine center. You can upgrade your service to enjoy Tibetan Culture Show in the evening (fr. 60USD) Stay overnight in Lhasa A group of foreign travelers visit Potala Palace
In the morning ,you are going to visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, founded in 1416 by Jamyang choge, one of the Tsongkhapa’s main disciples. You can visit biggest monastery kitchen inside the monastery and enjoy Buddhist Sculpture Carving workshop near Drepung. In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit Sera Monastery which is another one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet. The hot attraction is the Monks debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon. In addition, you can tour the Tibetan religious scripture printing house; inside the monastery, you can see three sand Mandalas and colorful Rock Painting of Buddha. Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, drive from Lhasa to Shigatse .On the way, drive over the Gampala pass (4790 m), and you will have a glimpse of Yamdrok-tso (4400m) .The Lake is surrounded by many snow-capped mountains and in the distance you can have spectacular views of Holy Mount Nyenchen Khangsar, (7191m) the highest mountain near Lhasa . Later, we will pass and enjoy the Korola Glacier on the roadside; At Manak Dam Lake, you can hang pray flag at Simila Mountain Pass; Then, we will arrive in Gyantse, historically Tibet's third largest city (after Lhasa and Shigatse).In Gyantse, we will visit the famous Pelkor Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum and enjoy the Far view of Gyangtse Fortress. After one and a half driving, we arrive in Shigatse, which is the second largest city in Tibet. In Shigatse, we may visit traditional Barley Mill and view the landscape of Barley Field (in summer). Stay overnight in Shigatse
In the morning, we will visit the home of Panchan Lama - Tashilunpo Monastery. Then, we’ll leave Shigatse after getting your Alien’s travel permit, and then drive to Lhatse, it is a small town where you can have lunch. After that, we will pass Tsola Pass(4600M), and Gyatsola Pass(5248M). Shortly after we enter Mt. Everest National Nature Reserve, tourists can enjoy the panorama of Himalaya at Gawula Pass(5198m).Then we drive along the New zigzag road to Everest Base Camp(5200m). You can get closer to gazt at the Mt. Everest peak. The sunset of golden Everest peak if time and weather permits at the lodging area. Stay overnight at Rongbuk monastery guest house.
In the morning, you can see the sunrise of Everest Peak if weather permits at the lodging area. Then we will visit the Rongbu Monastery - the unique highest monastery with nuns and monks living together. You can visit the Everest Base Camp monument and take the close-up shot of Mt. Everest. Finally, we will drive back to Shigatse. Stay overnight in Shigatse.
Today, we will drive back to Lhasa by following Yalong Valley. You can stand on the viewing platform and view the vast Yalong River bed. Finally the guide will transfer you back to your hotels in Lhasa. Stay overnight in Lhasa
In the morning, drive from Lhasa to Lake Namtso, one of the four holy lakes of Tibet and also the highest saline lake in the world. On the way, you can see snow-capped Nyenchen Thanglha Mountain Ranges and lots of nomads and their tent with grazing yak and sheep densely-populated on the flourishing grassland ( in summer) . Besides, you can enjoy the view of Sky-Road Railway with snow mountain background; while standing at the famous Lagenla Mountain Pass(5190m), you can view the stunning vista of holy Namtso Lake. Then we can do leisure trek around Tashi Island and enjoy sunset of Namtso. At night, we you enjoy night view of the milky way at the lake shore. Stay overnight at Namtso Tent Guest house
Enjoy the clear morning at the lake shore, you can trek along the lake shore to Tashi Dor Island to explore the meditation caves. Drive to Dumxung to have lunch. In the afternoon, you may enjoy Yangpachen hot spring (Optional) and have both indoor and outdoor swimming pool filled with hot springs water. Finally, head back to Lhasa. Stay overnight in Lhasa
The guide will transfer you to the airport or train station and help you get on board.
- Tibet travel permit and all other necessary permits to Tibet;
- All entrance ticket fees for all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
- Meals as specified in the itinerary;
- Local tour Transfers, 5-29 seats comfortable Tourist Vehicle according to Group Size.;
- Knowledgeable English-speaking Tibetan local tour guide shared in your group;
- Comfortable Hotel Accommodations;
- Service Charge & Government Taxes;
- The above tour price does not include single room supplement. If you are a solo traveler, you need to share one room with another tourist (same sex in most cases); if you prefer to stay in one room by yourself, you will have to pay the single room supplement. And the exact price depends on market fluctuation in high and off season of Tibet tour. For the exact price, please refer to your travel consultant.
- Arrangements include planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- Welcome Dinner in local restaurant when group members meet in Lhasa
- Free Airport shuttle transfer between Lhasa Gongar airport and Hotel on designated time.
- Group tours only include a welcome dinner after your arrival in Tibet.
- Tibet Handy Map
- Winter care service: Hot Water bottle or Electric blanket to keep warm at Rongpuk Guest House.
- Bottle Oxygen supply when travelling to EBC
- Eco-bus between Rongpuk and EBC
- Drinking water Provided during the trip
- One shared big Oxygen tank in the car;
- Tourist accident/casualty insurance;
- International flight to and out of China;
- Domestic flight/train to and out of Lhasa. (We can provide you the domestic flight/train ticket booking service at the BEST discount price, please contact us our travel experts for the details.)
- Lunches and dinners are not included, please pay on site by yourself.; usually it costs about USD3-15 per person for one meal in TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region).
- Tips to tour guide and driver, you are suggested to tip them 7 USD/day in total.;
- Personal expenses, like laundry, phone call, snacks, soft drinks (please do the best to avoid the alcoholic beverages during your Tibet trip), optional tour activities, etc.
Frequent Asked Questions
This classic itinerary is designed for tourists who want to travel to Everest Base Camp. Tourists have one more day to explore the life of Lhasa and get acclimatized to high altitude and then travel all the way to Everest Base Camp.